Three friends of PropTalk and SpinSheet have been selected as three of six finalists for the Old Pulteney Maritime Heroes Award! The award recognizes individuals for their outstanding contributions within the sailing community.
• Donald Backe – Annapolis, MD
- Created the organization Chesapeake Region Accessible Boating (CRAB) and works to get people with disabilities out on the water.
• Marcus Asante – Baltimore, MD
- Founded the Universal Sailing Club, bringing history and sailing education to African Americans.
• Rachael Miller – Granville, VT
- Founded and runs the Rozalia Project for a Clean Ocean which educates people of all ages on the importance of locating and removing marine debris in order to maintain a clean, safe boating environment.
SpinSheet and PropTalk have covered CRAB, Universal Sailing Club, and the Rozalia Project on several of their respective endeavors. We've even been lucky enough to coordinate with them on a couple events including the CRAB Regatta and the Rozalia Project 2012 Tour Kickoff this past April when they brought their trash hunting robot right here to the Chesapeake. This truly is a talented bunch whose huge hearts are helping the boating community in our backyard and across the country.
You can read more about the nominees and cast your vote at www.maritimeheroes.com. Voting is open until December 16, 2012. The winner will be honored at a gala event on January 23rd during US Sailing’s National Symposium in Clearwater, Florida.
Congratulations Don, Marcus, and Rachael!