Each summer, on the weekend closest to the summer solstice, sailors around the world sign up for the Summer Sailstice, and the chance to win exceptional prizes, including a weeklong bareboat charter trip. All participants have to do is register online and then go sailing sometime over the weekend of June 24-25.
As if you needed excuses to go sailing on the first official summer weekend, here are five reasons to leave the dock:
1. Awesome prizes. We're talking about more than just a hat and T-shirt here. Those who sign up for the Summer Sailstice become eligible to win a free sailing vacation by Sunsail, gift certificates for Offshore Sailing School, a liveaboard sailing course in the San Juan Islands, windlass, anchors, sailing knives, dock lines, winch handles, a Go Pro, a Sirius SOS Distress Light, and tons of other gear.
2. Time on the water. Why would you miss a chance to spend time on the water on the longest day of the year?
3. Time with friends and family. If you have to pick one weekend of the summer to carve out sailing time with the most important people in your life, pick June 24-25.
4. Time out. You're spending too much time on your phone, tablet, computer, and couch, aren't you? Give the electronics a rest June 24-25, and get outside!
5. Be a part of something bigger than yourself. It's a world-wide celebtation of sialing. Don't you want to be part of it?
Sign up here. It's free for all who want to join the fun.