A busy year for Chesapeake Bay Yacht Racing Association
When looking back over the last year at sailboat racing and at the results of the Chesapeake Bay Yacht Racing Association (CBYRA), much has happened.
CBYRA has 13 mission statements centered around three primary concepts. These concepts guide us to promote and market sailboat racing, educate new and existing racers, and be a grant-making nonprofit. This is all to support our organizing authorities who sponsor events and to help those individuals and teams who wish to compete in major events outside of our geographic region in the USA and internationally. To that end, here are events and racers that we have helped in 2022.
Promote and market our sport
- Media grant to video report on Thursday Night Racing for J/22, J/24, J/70, J/80, and Lightnings.
- Media grant for the 2022 Star North Americans.
- Media for the 2022 Snipe Women’s Nationals.
- Internally we have helped to promote numerous regatta organizers’ events to our 700 members and 4300 subscribers via Constant Contact and SpinSheet.
Educate new and existing racers
- Numerous webinars on racing-related topics from boat preparation to advanced weather, team building, and strategy and tactics. We have easily reached several thousand racers in 2022.
- ILCA Racers’ Clinic at Severn Sailing Association.
- Norfolk Yacht and Country Club Sail GP Junior Foiling Clinic.
- Junior Rules Webinar with Dave Perry for Yacht Clubs and Sailing Associations for 200 plus junior and high school racers. Many had group watch sessions.
- Provided training for 27 new US Sailing trained Club Race Officers. A special thanks to Maryland Yacht Club, Severn Sailing Association, and US Sailing for hosting and leading these training sessions for the entire region.
We provided grants to organizing authorities and individuals including:
ILCA Racers’ Clinic SSA for 49 racers
CBYRA Fund for Chesapeake Sailors:
- 2022 Thayer Women’s Team Racing Marblehead, MA
- 2022 Snipe Junior World’s grant to Trevor Davis and Rees Tindall to compete in Portugal
- 2022 ILCA World’s grant to Leo Boucher to compete in Mexico
CBYRA Regatta Support, Financial Grants:
- Glenmar Sailing Association’s Northern Bay Regatta
- The Southern Maryland Sailing Association Screwpile Regatta
- J/105 Women’s Regatta
- J/24 North Americans and J/22 East Coast Championships
- 2022 Snipe Women’s Nationals
We are pleased to be able to help our fellow racers and hope you take the time to follow us. Please join CBYRA, donate to support these efforts, and lend a hand to grow the sport. Email CBYRA president, Jon Anthony.
by Jon Anthony