Racing Roundup October 18-20
There was a lot of racing (as well as big wind at times) on the Chesapeake Bay this past weekend, from the Great Chesapeake Bay Schooner Race down the Bay to the Round the Lights Race in Hampton, with a lot of variation in boat and race type as well as weather systems in between. Here’s your racing roundup for the weekend of October 18-20.
Great Chesapeake Bay Schooner Race
The 2019 edition of the GCBSR unfolded last week, beginning with festivities in Baltimore (and a canceled Parade of Sail due to weather). Due to Thursday’s gale, an unusual sunrise start unfolded on Friday morning off Annapolis. Find top-three results below. Find Will Keyworth’s downloadable photos for purchase here.
Pride of Baltimore II
Flower of Caithness
BCYA Harbor Cup
The Baltimore City Yacht Association (BCYA) hosted its Harbor Cup from Baltimore Light into Baltimore Harbor on Saturday. Find a full report in SpinSheet and BCYA results here.
AYC Etchells and Stars
Annapolis Yacht Club hosted its Lippincott Memorial Regatta and 2nd District Championships (Star class) as well as its Etchells Atlantic Coasts over the weekend. Find top three results below, full AYC results here, and photos by Will Keyworth here
Etchells (One Design - 11 Boats)
1. American Baby, USA1394, George Francisco / Karl Anderson / Ezra Culver -  -1 -1 -1 -3 ; 6
2. Caramba, USA1405, Jose Fuentes / Chris Snow / Wilson Stout / Goncalo Ribeiro - 1 -2 - -2 -2 ; 7
3. Cruel Jane, Can1477, Dirk Kneulman / Chris Larson / Andrew Macrae -  -3 -5 -6 -1 ; 15
Star (One Design - 12 Boats)
1. Stella, USAUSA 8448, John MacCausland - 1 -1 - -1 ; 3
2. Big Jim, USA8521, Mike Hecky - 2 -4 - -3 ; 9
3. Frigate, USA7951, Aaron Serinis -  -5 -1 -4 ; 10
J 70 (One Design - 11 Boats)
1. Tea Dance Snake, USA381, Peter Bowe/Jenner/McNamara - 1 -2 -1 -1 -1 ; 6
2. Wild Child, 45, Henry Filter - 3 -4 -2 -2 -2 ; 13
3. Johnny Thunder, USA209, Brian Wood - 5 -6 -8 -3 -3 ; 25
SSA J/22 East Coasts
1. Doyle, Christopher/, Nick Doyle, Todd Hiller
2. Todd, Jeffrey/, Chip Carr
3. Kenny, Kevin/, Ian Moriarty, Marlene Plumley
Round the Lights Race
Old Point Comfort Yacht Club hosted its Round the Lights Race for 50 boats. This pursuit race starting in Mill Creek off Old Point Comfort Marina, goes around both Thimble Shoal and Middle Ground lights (any direction) and back to Mill Creek. Find the full report in the November SpinSheet. Find pictures by George Hernandez here
1 USA 230 Riff Raff DeLoatch, Don HYC 15 1 16:05:06 7:22:27 0:00:00 00:00.0
2 51171 Wairere Hunter, Pete HYC 21 2 16:07:18 7:22:54 0:02:12 02:12.0
3 USA 399 Danger Paws Ford, Neil & Biondi, Liz HYC 93 3 16:46:50 7:41:20 0:41:44 39:32.0
Don’t see your club’s racing news here?
We count on racing sailors to send us news, photos, and stories, so please send us your club’s Chesapeake racing news by 9 a.m. on any Monday—or anytime!—and we’re happy to share it as soon as possible. Thanks for being team players! [email protected]