Hot, Hot Weekend Racing on the Bay
It was a hot weekend in more ways than one in Chesapeake country for SUP racers, team racers, overnight racers, charity regatta friends, and the French… n’est-ce pas? Here’s your racing roundup for the weekend of July 13-14.
Chesapeake SUP Challenge
The eighth annual East of Maui- Eastport Yacht Club Chesapeake Stand Up Challenge was once again a great success for 117 SUP competitors of all ages and skill levels on a variety of boards. This was your loyal SpinSheet editor’s first SUP race, and man, was it well-organized and FUN! Thank you East of Maui and EYC!!
EYC Boomerang Race
Competitors would have hoped for more wind and less current for the start of the fourth annual Eastport Yacht Club Boomerang race… but then (thank you wind gods), the 10- to 12-knot southerly kicked in and made for a pleasant overnight race for 67 competing boats. As one winner commented, “On hot days like this, racing in the middle of the night is the best!” Everyone who sweated it out at the afternoon awards party agreed. By the way—great party, EYC!
We noticed that race committee members won most of West Marine’s raffle prizes.. and you know what? They work harder than all of us, so they deserve the goodies! Thank you, most excellent RC members.
Find SpinSheet’s 2019 Boomerang photos by Al Schreitmueller here.
Find top three results below and full Boomerang results here.
J 30 (One Design - 4 Boats)
1. TOTALed MAYHEM, 526, Doug & Amy Stryker - 1 ; 1
2. Shamrock, USA33504, Bruce Irvin - 2 ; 2
3. Infectious Smile, USA83060, Tristan & Sheila Keen - 3 ; 3
J 35 (One Design - 3 Boats)
1. T-Bone, USA41870, Bruce Artman - 1 ; 1
2. Abientot, USA42979, Roger Lant - 2 ; 2
3. Maggie, USA40738, Jim McNeely - 3 ; 3
J 105 (One Design - 8 Boats)
1. Syndicate, USA102, Michael Brown - 1 ; 1
2. Mirage, USA328, Cedric Lewis/ Fredrik Salvesen - 2 ; 2
3. Bat IV, USA220, Andrew/Warren Kennedy/Richter - 3 ; 3
CRCA ORRez - Cruiser (ORRez - 5 Boats)
1. Reverie, USA133, Christopher Rogers - 1 ; 1
2. Anneliese, Uni60340, Joseph Zebleckes - 2 ; 2
3. Curlew, USA60498, David Densmore - 3 ; 3
CRCA ORRez - Performance Cruiser (ORRez - 5 Boats)
1. ReJoyce, USA93442, Dennis Glackin - 1 ; 1
2. Jane Says, USA12, Robert Dunigan, Jr. - 2 ; 2
3. Lucky Eights, USA60888, Keith Cole - 3 ; 3
CRCA ORRez - Racer-Cruiser (ORRez - 6 Boats)
1. Mischief, USA52353, Peter Henry - 1 ; 1
2. Resolute, USA93613, David Adams - 2 ; 2
3. A L'Assaut, USA52621, Kurt Cerny - 3 ; 3
PHRF A0/A1 (PHRF_ToT - 12 Boats)
1. Slush Fund, USA119, Jim Connelly - 1 ; 1
2. Amadeus, USA38, Jack Yaissle - 2 ; 2
3. ZUUL, USA38012, Benedict Capuco - 3 ; 3
PHRF A2 (PHRF_ToT - 11 Boats)
1. Mama Tried, USA999, Andrew Noel - 1 ; 1
2. Bingo!, 36003, Brent & Caroline Allen - 2 ; 2
3. Victorine, USA7000, David Conlon - 3 ; 3
PHRF B (PHRF_ToT - 4 Boats)
1. Artemis II, 43135, Michael McNamara - 1 ; 1
2. Orion, USA68120, Jon Opert - 2 ; 2
3. Cantata, 110, Henry Chalkley - 3 ; 3
CHESSS (PHRF_ToT - 3 Boats)
1. Thunder, USA837, Vernon Hultzer - 1 ; 1
2. La Defonce, USA61170, Laurent Givry - 2 ; 2
3. Trouble No Trouble, USA831, Brian Gray - 4 ; 4
Multihull A (ToT - 3 Boats)
1. Triple threat, USA001, Timothy Lyons - 1 ; 1
2. Cheshire Cat, 001, John Enderle - 2 ; 2
3. OrgaZmatron, 131, Josh Colwell - 3 ; 3
Multihull B (ToT - 3 Boats)
1. Endurance, USA1055, Jeffrey Short - 1 ; 1
2. Gemini, 528, Jere Glover - 2 ; 2
3. Family Knot, 924, Chester Buckenmaier - 3 ; 3
Olivia’s Team Race Invitational
Askew’s Wizard Places First in Transatlantic Race
Great article in yesterday’s Capital about Dave Askew’s team on the Volvo 70 Wizard, who won the Transatlantic Race. Askew splits his time between Annapolis and Utah and has been winning everything from the Chicago Mac to the Transpacific to the Sydney Hobart in the past few years.
Bill Wagner writes: “Due to light air for significant portions of the crossing, it took Wizard 10 days, 9 hours, 1 minute and 42 seconds to complete the Transatlantic Race. Askew joked that he ate enough freeze-dried food during the passage to last a lifetime.”
Find the full Capital article here. Congrats to the Wizard team!
Southern Bay Leukemia Cup
This just in from Lin McCarthy’s Southern Bay Racing News You Can Use: "It was a scorcher of a weekend temperature-wise for the 21st ANNUAL SOUTHERN CHESAPEAKE LEUKEMIA CUP REGATTA, but the forty-eight (48) boats, divided among nine (9) fleets/classes got in 3 or 4 races over Saturday and Sunday."
J/70 Class (6 boats) 1.Blake and Julia Kimbrough, Nostalgia (FBYC); 2.Caroline Patrick, Airspeed (FBYC); 3.Steve Quiriconi, Hotty Toddy (FBYC).
PHRF A (7 boats) 1.Neil Ford and Lis Biondi, Danger Paws (HYC); 2.Craig Wright, Afterthought (FBYC); 3.Leroi Lissenden, Voodoo2 (HYC).
PHRF B (5boats) 1.Miles Booth, Shenanigan (FBYC); 2.Katie Yudkin and Stuart Kegan, Split Decision (FBYC); 3.Jim Raper, Rhapsody (FBYC).
PHRF C (3 boats) 1.Blackwell Nottingham, Shadowfax (FBYC); 2. Brad Miller, Schiehallion (FBYC); 3.Lew Thatcher, Catitude (FBYC).
PHRF Non-Spin (6 boats) 1.Mike Dale, Juggernaut (FBYC); 2.Alan Johnson, Seeker (HYC); 3.Bill McClure, Thistledowne (FBYC).
TYPHOON Class (5 boats) 1.Chuck Carmichael, Pygmalion (PTY); 2.Denton Roberts, Lueberr (FBYC); 3.Mike Miller, Jaunty (FBYC).
Cruising White (5 boats) 1.Booty Baker, Klimax (PBC); 2.Jonathan Moody, Mood Sway (FBYC); 3.James Morrison, Pleione (FBYC).
Cruising Blue (6 boats) 1.Brad Leslie, Grip Fast (CRSA); 2.Marlow Hunter, Leap of Faith (QYC); 3.Diane Simon, Happy Place (FBYC).
Cruising Classic (5 boats) 1.Dick Cole, Nutcracker (FBYC); 2.Russ Seltzer, Joie de Vie (SBYC); 3. Keith Midgette, Luna Blu (OPCYC).
******Event Chair-Diane Simon; Principal Race Officer-David Hinckle. The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society and Fishing Bay Yacht Club organized this event. As always, racers demonstrated a lot of generosity for the cause. Find full results at YachtScoring.
Bonne fête, nos amis!
We know the French are sailing-crazy, so we hope our French racing friends enjoyed their own independence day festivities yesterday for Bastille Day.
Don’t see your club’s racing news here?
It takes a village to put together our racing coverage, so be a team player and send us Chesapeake racing news and photos on any given Monday by 10 a.m. and we’re happy to include it here and/or in print. [email protected]