Nominate a Volunteer. Do you know someone along the Chesapeake Bay and its tributaries who takes the word “volunteer” to new heights? In an effort to celebrate boaters who give their time and talents back to the community, we have created the SpinSheet PropTalk Volunteer of the Year Award to be given to exceptional volunteers annually.
Community service can take the form of organizing charity regattas, planting trees along the waterfront, teaching kids boat building at a local maritime museum, serving on yacht club committees, or the like—as long as it takes place on or near water and is unpaid, we will consider it as volunteer service.
Readers may nominate one person each by January 15. A selection committee will make the final decision and celebrate the winner in the pages of SpinSheet and PropTalk. Email [email protected] to place your nomination. All you need to do is tell us what this person has done for the community in 2016 and why he or she deserves special recognition.
Do some more volunteer work in 2018
Here are some opportunities to check out:
- Your local maritime museum seeks volunteers for events, docents, and more: Havre de Grace Maritime Museum, Annapolis Maritime Museum, Calvert Marine Museum, Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum, The Mariners' Museum
- Your local riverkeeper: check here to find which one is closest to you
- Your local yacht club or yacht club foundation seeks volunteers for anything from race committee, signing people in at events, planning fundraisers, and more.
- Your local community sailing program. Here are a few to get you started: Baltimore's Downtown Sailing Center, Baltimore County Sailng Center, Chesapeake Region Accessible Boating, Norfolk's Sail Nauticus
- Did we miss something you'd like us to promote? email [email protected] to tell us about it.