Recycling over the Holidays
Our friends at Sea Bags, the world leader in recycling sailcloth that has saved over 600 tons of sails from being discarded in landfills across the country, encourage recycling while gift wrapping over the holidays. From wrapping with scraps of fabric, used nautical charts and maps, and recycled sail cloth products; there are a variety of ways to reduce waste during the holiday season with helpful tips from Sea Bags.
Americans throw away 25 percent more trash during the Thanksgiving to New Year's holiday period than any other time of year, according to a recent study by Stanford University. The extra waste amounts to 25 million tons of garbage, or about 1 million extra tons per week.
Sea Bags offers a variety of tips for reducing waste when wrapping which include:
- Utilize wine bags that are not just made of recycled material but are designed to keep traveling
- Take pages of a magazine and turn them into a bow
- Reuse the Sea Bags signature hangtag and turn into a gift tag
- Wrap your gift with nautical charts and maps
- Use recycled sail cloth buckets as a vessel for a themed gift; include spa items for the one who needs pampering or BBQ tools for the master chef
Sea Bags incorporates sustainable efforts into their daily operations to help reduce waste in general. From the recycled sail cloth used in their products to steering away from the use of tissue used for wrapping purposes when products are shipped out to customers, they ensure that their practices incorporate environmentally friendly methods.
“Sustainability is a cornerstone of our brand and we estimate that we have saved over 600 tons of sails from the landfill, said Beth Shissler, President and COO of Sea Bags, we encourage folks every day to be mindful of waste and reuse material often and in creative ways.”
Sea Bags products are available online at www.seabags.com and at their 18 other retail stores located throughout the East Coast.