Hurricane Irma and Maria Relief Resources: Since Hurricanes Irma and Maria devastated so many popular sailing destinations in the Caribbean that are near and dear to our readers’ hearts, we’ve received inquiries about how they can help. Here is a list of resources. If you know of one we have missed, please reach out to [email protected].
Below find the list created by the Caribbean Sailing Association
St. Maarten, Sint Eustatius, Saba
- WestJet evacuation for Canadians .
- Direct financial assistance.
- Food and relief supplies
- For those looking for their boats
- Richard Branson and the Virgin Group are taking donations, 100% of which will go to relief efforts, with overheads being paid by Virgin
- Relief Website
- Safety Check Website
- Homeless Relief Information
- List of updated shelters
- Donation Information
- BVI Evacuation List
Virgin Gorda (Specifically)
Here is a list put out by PBS News Hour for Hurricane Maria relief to Puerto Rico:
- United for Puerto Rico (spearheaded by the First Lady of Puerto Rico)
- Center for Popular Democracy
- Hispanic Federation’s “Unidos” page
- Former U.S. presidents have expanded their One America Appeal to include recovery efforts in Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands
- All Hands Volunteers
- Catholic Relief Services
- Direct Relief
- Save the Children, which focuses specifically on the needs of families and their children.
- Global Giving has a $2 million goal for victims of Hurricane Maria
NEXT WEEK AT THE OPENING DAY OF THE U.S. SAILBOAT SHOW:
Annapolis Boat Shows has teamed up with Pusser’s to throw a big donor appreciation party in honor of those affected by the hurricane, Thursday, October 5 from 6 – 9 pj.m. at Pusser’s. A donation of $75 to your choice of relief funds (charities) buys you admission to this great celebration of the love and resiliency of the Caribbean people. Food, drink, and entertainment will be provided at no additional charge, and there will be opportunities to make larger donations.
Second, there will be boxes throughout the Show to toss your “soggy dollars” into. All donations will go directly to hurricane relief efforts. So, bring some cash with you and help fund the rebuilding in the Caribbean.
This is our chance to show the people of the Caribbean how much the sailing community loves them and to help them recover quickly. Bring your heart and your wallet to the Annapolis Boat Shows, and join the celebration.