Century Club: Suzanne Fryberger

Thursday, October 15, 2026 to Friday, October 16, 2026
Number of days:
2 days
  • The only picture I have from the race - Norfolk Rebel sailing south around 1pm

69/62, mostly cloudy, NE10-15 w/gusts to 20...until the start.  Then light and variable.  For like 6 hours.  Trying to make progress south in semi-controlled fashion while avoiding ships and tugs with barges.  And each other.  Then - wind!  About 7-12 knots, but from the south and so we beat.  Then the rain.  Still dodging ships and tugs with barges - where do all these guys come from at 1am?  Then, at 2am, the torrential rain.  I'm on watch and my glasses are rain-spattered and the droplets reflect the light from the chartplotter, making it hard to see, but better than no glasses.  When I tack, the rainwater collected in the shelf foot of the mainsail dumps in the cockpit like a tidal wave.  The first time it startles me - rogue wave?! - but then I realize what happened and get on with it.  I can't really see the jib sheets so I count the wraps with my fingers so I know I've got 3 on before I put the sheet in the self-tailer.  In the darkness, I'm watching the lights of a ship proceeding south, judging when I need to tack away so as not to concern the pilot.  It also shows on our AIS/chartplotter, which is helpful, but not every vessel has AIS.  Near the end of my watch, the rain hammers down at tropical strength and all the lights around me - Patuxent NAS, the skyline of Solomons, the CNG terminal, the ship - are shrouded completely.  I actually lose my way a bit, confused and disoriented with no reference except for the nav screen and the Windex lit by Grace's tricolor light.  When Dobbs comes up for his watch (believe it or not, we can both sleep when off watch in conditions like this), I suggest we withdraw from the race.  Fresh on, he asks to continue ahead for a while, to gauge it himself.  I agree and go below.  About 20 minutes later, still in driving rain, he seconds the decision to withdraw and brings the boat around to head back toward Solomons.  Little did we know (because I hadn't checked e-mail through all of this), the race course had been shortened to Cove Point, north of Solomons - we'd already finished!  We made it in to Solomons around 4am, and to anchor and a meal of wine and pretzels before bed at 5am, which is when we learned about the race being shortened.  Good news.  We try hard to avoid a DNF, but nature ultimately dictates what we should and shouldn't do.

We consider it a privelege to participate in this race.  The competitors, both as individuals and collectively as crews, are enthusiastic and skilled.  We encourage each other to be better sailors and better people.  Optimism abounds.  Looking at a dreadful forecast, not one boat said, "Heck no"; we all said, "I'll try my best."  With this group, everyone goes home a winner.  Huzzah!

Wednesday, October 14, 2026
Number of days:
1 day
  • Looking toward Canton at dawn
  • Schooner Denis Sullivan in the rosy glow of sunrise
  • The Observation Tower in Paterson Park (viewed while out stretching our sea legs)
  • Parade of Sail heading toward Inner Harbor

87 (!)/63, sun and clouds, W5-10

Crazy hot for mid-October - I'm in a tank top, shorts, and bare feet.  More dinghy sailing, open docks, a meeting, the Parade of Sail, and a party - a whirlwind day.

Tuesday, October 13, 2026
Number of days:
1 day
  • Baltimore, pre-dawn
  • Grace and Spartina, a new friend
  • Dobbs in Agility

81/68, sun and clouds, SW10-15 w/gusts to 20

Dinghy sailing around the harbor!  Great day.  A walk, catching up with schooner friends old and new, cockpit-sitting under the awning with a fabulous breeze - like being at the seashore.

Monday, October 12, 2026
Number of days:
1 day
  • Beautiful morning with the Sassafras in our wake
  • Old Key Bridge center piling and new construction underway

73/55, cloudy w/morning rain, N5-10 w/gusts to 20

Sun shining through cloud-speckled blue sky, mist scudding across the water.  A rollicking sail all the way to Baltimore.

Saturday, October 10, 2026
Number of days:
1 day
  • The next day, playing music while it rains outside

72/60, mostly cloudy, E5-10

We'd come to NERYC to celebrate a friend's 80th birthday, but he tested positive for COVID last night so the party's off.  With extra time on our hands, Dobbs inspected Grace's topping lift pendant and end-for-ended the control line and I serviced the main halyard winch.  What a difference!  We also had the propane tank filled and replaced the battery in the sensor.  Concerns about whether the tank was truly full led us to learn that adding the tare weight of the cylinder (stamped in the handle) plus the weight of propane it's designed to contain nets what it should weigh when full.  (Thank you, Google.)  Laughably, the filling platform was a balance scale, but none of the young people helping us knew what it was or how to use it.  Dobbs showed them and we all went away satisfied and smarter.  Hooray for learning!

Heavy rain was forecast for Sunday so, rather than wait until morning and sail in it, we departed NERYC at 4pm and sailed then motored to the anchorage off Mt. Harmon in the Sassafras.

Friday, October 9, 2026
Number of days:
1 day
  • Our neighbor at anchor

75/51, sun and clouds, W0-5

Peaceful misty morning.  Motored over to NERYC and took a slip, then did a massive round of errand-running and maintenance.  Friends from home joined us for dinner aboard.

Thursday, October 8, 2026
Number of days:
1 day
  • On our community beach at Red Point with Grace anchored in the background
  • Chessie sculpture, looking south
  • Poking into a fork off the North East Creek
  • Fellow Centurion Dave Nestle in his Wind Rider

78/48, sunshine, W5-10

Beautiful morning.  We beat out of the Sassafras and then set the spinnaker to run up the Northeast River.  Approaching Turkey Point, Dobbs spied a tiny white sail zipping west from the Elk River shore - fellow centurion Dave Nestle!  He brought his Wind Rider trimaran alongside to say hello.  

We got a big wind shift shortly after, necessitating a spinnaker take-down and shift to close-hauled to proceed up the Northeast River.  We temporarily anchored off our community beach at Red Point and rowed in so I could fetch our car down to NERYC.  Dobbs met me there and we continued upriver to anchor.  I'd read about someone having created a Chessie sculpture at the head of the river.  We spotted it and Dobbs rowed us over to have a closer look.  What fun that someone used their imagination and talents to gift the community with that! 

Wednesday, October 7, 2026
Number of days:
1 day

70/58, sunny, S5-10

We're heading north, back toward North East, to celebrate a friend's 80th birthay on Saturday; next stop the Sassafras.

We broad reached up from Worton Creek, jibing, into the mouth of the river, where the wind went all kinds of flukey.  For an hour, we struggled to catch air on any point of sail, despite flags on shore flapping.  Those flags kept us hunting.  Finally, the breeze filled in reliably and carried us along on a fun jaunt up to Georgetown and back to Knight Island.  We anchored in Back Creek, off the Mount Harmon Plantation dock.

Tuesday, October 6, 2026
Number of days:
1 day

65/48, sunny, N10-15

We tried to sail to Worton Creek, but the wind refused to provide.  Gusty, then ho-hum and shifty, then fading, the breeze waned to nothing.  We made it as far as the Craighill Channel Front Range Light.  At least it had the decency to go flat calm so we wouldn't keep being lured into trying.  The diesel engine carried us north to Worton Creek.

I can feel Fall, even Winter, in the bite in the air, the deck cold under my bare feet, the pleasing warmth of sunshine.  A quiet is descending.

Monday, October 5, 2026
Number of days:
1 day
  • White Rocks
  • The rocks at the mouth of Stony Creek

72/51, sun & clouds, NW10-15 with gusts to 20 (NOAA said), water temp 71 degrees

We started out of Whitehall Bay on a light SOUTHwest breeze that slowly clocked through west and then northwest as we sailed under the Bay Bridge  Let the beating begin!  We were heading for Stony Creek off the Patapsco.  White Rocks and Stony Creek are two of the few places you'll find large rocks on the Chesapeake.  The wind picked up to "whistling through the rigging" strength (20 knots) and we set reefs progressively until ending up with 2nd reef in both main and jib.  Norfolk Rebel cruised by on her way to Baltimore.  We arrived in Stony Creek around 4pm - too late for the 3:30pm drawbridge - so dropped the hook in the still-protected outer area and waited until 5pm.  At 5pm, we passed through the bridge and anchored in Big Burley Cove.  

Pages